CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Aleah's Tinkerbell in Fairy Hollow Cake

This was a cake that I made for my friend's daughter for her birthday. I baked two sheet cakes - one white and one chocolate. I cut a curved piece off the second layer and put it on top as a third layer. I decided to crumb coat the chocolate to make it easier to frost later. I used my favorite buttercream recipe to make the waterfall and pond first. Then I colored the rest in green and frosted the rest of the cake. I used my sister's airbrush to color the water, and then sprayed it all with silver glimmer spray.
I made all of the flowers, ladybug, and acorns out of candy! I have seen lots of cakes done with the gum paste, and I know they look good, but I don't personally like to eat gum paste. So I wanted to shape the flowers using candy. I used gum drops, laffy taffy, skittles, and colored tootsie rolls for the flowers. I just rolled them out and then shaped them or cut them into petals and leaves. I used a red gumdrop and black licorice for the ladybug. I used chocolate tootsie rolls and caramels for the acorns. I also bought some rock candy for the rocks.
My friend had all of the fairies to put on the cake. I really had fun making this cake because of how easy it was to frost and I LOVE doing detail work. Making all of the little flowers and acorns was so fun that I didn't want to stop. I think I would have kept going until the whole thing was covered, but we were already late for the party and had to drive an hour to get there!

0 comments: